
Sandakan's BEST Kept Secret: 98 Homestay Review (You WON'T Believe This!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on Sandakan's actual best-kept secret: 98 Homestay! And trust me, the title ain't lying – you won't believe this place. Forget your sterile, cookie-cutter hotel experiences. This is where real life, and real Sandakan charm, collide.
(SEO Note: We're aiming for a long-tail keyword here: "Sandakan accommodation with character" and "Unique Sandakan homestay experience" alongside broader terms like "Sandakan hotels" and "things to do Sandakan")
Alright, let's dive in, shall we? Because, honestly, I'm still reeling from my stay. First off, let's talk Accessibility because, you know, everyone deserves a good time.
- Accessibility: Now, they do have an elevator (thank the heavens!), and I think some rooms might be more accessible than others. It’s worth checking in advance. I didn't personally need it, but I saw a couple of guests with mobility aids, and they seemed to be getting around okay. (SEO: "Sandakan hotels wheelchair accessible" - gotta cover all bases)
Getting There & Settling In – The First Impressions
- Getting around: Okay, so the airport transfer they offer? Use it. Seriously. It’s a no-brainer. Free car park on-site, too. (SEO: "Sandakan airport transfer," "Free parking Sandakan hotel")
- Check-in/out [express]: They do offer express check-in/out, but honestly? Take your time. The staff are so genuinely friendly, it’s worth chatting.
- Check-in/out [private]: This is where the magic happens. They give you a proper welcome. Not just a key and a "have a nice day." Nope. Real, warm Sandakan hospitality.
The Room – My Little Sanctuary (Almost)
- Available in all rooms: Let's be real, you'll want Air Conditioning, Internet access – wireless, and Free Wi-Fi. Thankfully, they have it. And good Wi-Fi, too! I was streaming Netflix without a hitch. (SEO: "Sandakan hotel with free Wi-Fi")
- Additional toilet: (I didn’t see if all rooms have this, but good to ask if you’re a big family)
- Air conditioning: Essential. Absolutely essential.
- Alarm clock: (I used my phone, but it's there)
- Bathrobes: (Yep!)
- Bathroom phone: (Thankfully unused, but it's there in case you want to call room service from the loo)
- Bathtub: (Check if your room has one, I'm not sure)
- Blackout curtains: Sleep like a baby. Seriously.
- Closet: Plenty of space for my questionable fashion choices.
- Coffee/tea maker: Coffee in the morning, yes please!
- Complimentary tea: (And coffee, of course!)
- Daily housekeeping: My room was always spotless.
- Desk: (For those who have to work. I mostly used it to prop up my laptop while I watched movies.)
- Extra long bed: I'm tall, and this was a godsend.
- Free bottled water: Hydration is key!
- Hair dryer: Essential for dealing with the humidity.
- High floor: (I believe some rooms are. I'm not sure if you can request it)
- In-room safe box: For your valuables.
- Internet access – LAN: (I didn’t use it, but it’s there if you need it.)
- Ironing facilities: (Important for those who actually pack nice clothes.)
- Laptop workspace: (Same as the desk)
- Linens: Clean and comfortable.
- Mini bar: (I skipped it, but it's there)
- Mirror: (Lots of mirrors!)
- Non-smoking: Thank goodness.
- On-demand movies: (Probably, though I didn't use it.)
- Private bathroom: (Of course!)
- Reading light: (Perfect for late-night bookworms.)
- Refrigerator: (Handy for cold drinks.)
- Safety/security feature: (Smoke detector, etc.)
- Satellite/cable channels: (Enough to keep you entertained.)
- Scale: (Don't look!)
- Seating area: (Nice to have, especially if you're with someone.)
- Separate shower/bathtub: (Again, check your room type)
- Shower: (Excellent water pressure!)
- Slippers: (Comfy!)
- Smoke detector: (Safety first!)
- Socket near the bed: (Bless them!)
- Sofa: (Some rooms have them!)
- Soundproofing: (Pretty good, considering the location.)
- Telephone: (For room service and emergencies.)
- Toiletries: (The basics, but good quality.)
- Towels: (Plenty of fresh towels.)
- Umbrella: (Essential in Sandakan!)
- Visual alarm: (For those who need it.)
- Wake-up service: (I prefer my phone.)
- Wi-Fi [free]: (Again, amazing Wi-Fi!)
- Window that opens: (Ah, fresh air!)
- Room decorations: (The rooms have character. It's not just bland hotel decor. It feels more like a comfy guest room.)
Now, for the really good stuff: Dining, Drinking, and Snacking
- Restaurants: (Yep, plural!) The main restaurant has a real buzz about it.
- Asian breakfast: (Get the Nasi Lemak. Seriously. Just do it.)
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: (Obviously. They have it all!)
- Bar: (Perfect for a pre-dinner drink.)
- Bottle of water: (Free in your room, and available at the bar.)
- Breakfast [buffet]: (A good one, with plenty of choices.)
- Breakfast service: (They'll bring it to your room if you want.)
- Buffet in restaurant: (A good selection for lunch and dinner, too.)
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: (Essential.)
- Coffee shop: (For your caffeine fix.)
- Desserts in restaurant: (Oh, the desserts…)
- Happy hour: (Worth checking out!)
- International cuisine in restaurant: (They cater to all tastes.)
- Poolside bar: (Perfect for chilling.)
- Room service [24-hour]: (Yes! Late-night snacks, anyone?)
- Snack bar: (For quick bites.)
- Soup in restaurant: (Perfect if you're feeling under the weather.)
- Vegetarian restaurant: (They have options, but check in advance.)
- Western breakfast: (If you're not feeling adventurous.)
- Western cuisine in restaurant: (They do a good burger, too.)
- A la carte in restaurant: (Also available)
- Alternative meal arrangement: (I'm sure they can accommodate dietary needs.)
Anecdote time! I remember one evening, I just had to try the curry. I'm talking, a need. Now, I’m usually a spice wimp, but the waiter (a lovely chap named Abu, if I remember correctly) convinced me to go for the medium spice. "Just a little bit," he said. "It'll be good for you." He was right. It was divine. My mouth was on fire, but in the best possible way. And then, to cool it down, I went to the Poolside bar and ordered a cold beer. Pure bliss. (SEO: "Sandakan restaurants," "Best food Sandakan," "Sandakan curry")
Things to Do (and Ways to Relax) – Beyond the Room
- Swimming pool: (Outdoor, and lovely!)
- Pool with view: (Yes!)
- Fitness center: (I didn't go, but it's there for the gym bunnies.)
- Spa: (I didn't go, but maybe next time!)
- Massage: (See above)
- Sauna: (See above)
- Spa/sauna: (See above)
- Body scrub: (See above)
- Body wrap: (See above)
- Foot bath: (See above)
- Steamroom: (See above)
- Things to do: They can help you arrange tours and activities.
- Ways to relax: The pool, the bar, your comfy room… it's all good.

Okay, buckle up, buttercups! Because this ain't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is a Sandakan, Malaysia, adventure, crafted with the messy, glorious chaos of a real human being at the helm. And it all starts at 98 Homestay. Let's get this show on the road… or, you know, the jungle trail.
Sandakan Shenanigans: A Totally Unrealistic Itinerary (Maybe)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Homestay Embrace (and the Quest for Coffee)
- Morning (8:00 AM -ish): Arrive at Sandakan Airport. Okay, first of all, the airport is… small. Charming, actually. Reminds me of a well-loved, slightly-worn teddy bear. Grab a taxi. I'm already sweating, which is not a good sign. I'm a swamp creature at heart and I'm not sure if I'll survive.
- Mid-Morning (9:00 AM - 10:00 AM): Check into 98 Homestay. Seriously, people, this place is adorable. Hopefully, the air conditioning works. (Crucial.) The owner, bless her heart, probably doesn't speak much English, but she gives you a warm, welcoming smile that melts your anxieties away. It's a total "home away from home" vibe. The room is… well, it's a room. Clean, functional, and the bed… yeah, the bed is screaming, "nap time!" But coffee first. Gotta find coffee. This is a non-negotiable.
- Late Morning/Early Afternoon (10:00 AM - 1:00 PM): The Coffee Hunt. This is an important task. Wander around the area, asking for "kopi." Finally, stumble upon a local coffee shop. It's a classic, with tiny chairs and the smell of roasted beans. Order a kopi-o (black coffee with sugar). Holy moly, this stuff is strong! I'm buzzing, ready to conquer the world (or at least the next block).
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Lunch & Local Exploration. Find a place serving local food. I am a sucker for anything spicy. I order something that looks vaguely like noodles, and it's amazing. So good, I almost cried. Walk around the town. The markets are a sensory overload in the best way possible – vibrant colors, smells I can't even name, and people just… living. I love it.
- Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Rest at the Homestay. The heat gets to you. I spend an hour or so just staring at the ceiling fan, contemplating life, and scrolling through my phone. I'm already behind on my emails. The internet is spotty, which is strangely liberating.
- Evening (7:00 PM onwards): Dinner & Stargazing (maybe). Head out for dinner. Sandakan is a melting pot of cultures. I'm aiming for seafood. Then, if the weather's cooperating and the mosquitos aren't feasting on me, I'll try to find a spot to see the stars. I'm a sucker for a good night sky.
Day 2: The Sepilok Sanctuary & The Orangutan Encounter (and Tears)
- Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Okay, this is the big one. Get a taxi or arrange a tour. I'm torn between wanting to be super prepared and just winging it. I decide to wing it. Arrive at Sepilok. The anticipation is killing me. I'm a little overwhelmed, a little excited, a little… scared? The first encounter is… well, it's incredible. These magnificent creatures, swinging through the trees, munching on fruit, just existing. It's a deeply emotional experience. I might or might not have shed a tear or two. Okay, I definitely did. Don't judge.
- Midday (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Lunch at the cafe. The food is decent. I'm still processing the orangutan encounter.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Rainforest Discovery Centre. This is a must-do! The canopy walk is thrilling. The views are stunning. I can't stop taking pictures. I'm convinced I'm going to fall.
- Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM onwards): Back to 98 Homestay. I need a nap. The orangutans have drained me emotionally. I'm going to order some takeout. I'm not going anywhere.
Day 3: The Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary & A Deep Dive (Maybe a Literal One)
- Morning (8:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary. Another sanctuary! This time for proboscis monkeys. They are the stuff of legend. Get there early. The monkeys are fed at certain times, and you want to be there for that. The males have these enormous noses. It's hilarious and amazing at the same time. They are just chilling, eating, and being monkeys.
- Midday (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Lunch & Some Beach Time? The beach is an option. I'm considering it. It's hot.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Diving? (Maybe, if I can get the courage to learn) I've always wanted to dive. There are places in Sandakan to get certified. I should probably do some research.
- Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM onwards): Return to Homestay. Pack, relax, and contemplate my existence.
Day 4: Departure & The Sandakan Farewell (With a Heavy Heart)
- Morning (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Breakfast at 98 Homestay. Say goodbye to the owner. She's a sweetheart.
- Late Morning (9:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Last-minute souvenir shopping. Buy some coffee beans.
- Midday (11:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Head to the airport.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): Depart from Sandakan. I'm already missing it.
Important Considerations (aka My Random Thoughts):
- Mosquitos: They are relentless. Pack bug spray. Seriously.
- Food: Be adventurous! Try everything. You might surprise yourself.
- Heat: Hydrate! Drink water constantly.
- Pace Yourself: Don't try to cram everything in.
- Be Open to Change: Embrace the unexpected detours. That's where the real magic happens.
- The Internet: It's not always reliable. Disconnect to reconnect.
- My Feelings: I'm a mess of emotions. Be prepared for that.
There you have it. My totally un-professional, utterly honest, and hopefully entertaining itinerary. Now go forth and explore Sandakan! And tell me all about it! (Just don't expect me to remember exactly what I did.)
Queenstown Dream Home: Lake Views, BBQ, FREE Parking!
98 Homestay: Sandakan's... *Secret*? Let's Unpack This Mess (and Maybe Love It?)
Okay, spill the tea. Is 98 Homestay REALLY a "best kept secret"? Because I'm seeing mixed reviews!
Look, calling it a "secret" is a bit of a stretch now, isn't it? The internet, bless its chaotic heart, has a way of blowing secrets. But here's the thing: 98 Homestay isn't the polished, perfectly-Instagrammed hotel you're used to. It's...well, it's *lived-in*. And that's part of its charm, or maybe its downfall, depending on your personality. I've seen reviews that gush about the "authentic experience," and then others that complain about the "questionable cleanliness." Personally? I think it leans charming, but I'm also the type who thrives in a little bit of glorious chaos.
What's the vibe like? Is it a party hostel or a quiet retreat?
Definitely NOT a party hostel. Think more... grandma's house, but in Sandakan. It’s a very family-oriented place. I went there with my partner and honestly, we were mostly just trying to navigate the language barrier and not offend the staff. They were very nice, but also a bit... well, let's say "hands-off" on the whole guest-interaction front. If you're looking for a place to chill, read a book, and maybe strike up a conversation with a friendly local, it's perfect. If you crave nightlife and a buzzing social scene, you'll be bored to tears. Seriously, bring a book. Or two.
The rooms... are they clean? Because let's be honest, that's a big deal.
Okay, this is where things get... interesting. The rooms aren't *spotless*. I'll be brutally honest. Think "rustic charm" with a healthy dose of "lived-in." You might find a stray ant or two. The sheets were clean, thankfully, but the general vibe isn't "sterile hospital room." My advice? Bring some hand sanitizer. And maybe a sense of humor. I wouldn't describe it as dirty, but it certainly wasn't as pristine as a five-star hotel. I'm pretty sure the bathroom floor hadn't seen a mop in a week, but hey, the shower pressure was decent!
Food! Tell me about the food! Is breakfast included? And is it any good?
Breakfast *is* included! Praise the travel gods! And it's... simple. Think toast, eggs (sometimes), and maybe some fruit. Don't expect a gourmet spread. It's not a culinary experience you'll write home about, but it's enough to get you going. I’d recommend grabbing some street food from the markets in the town for lunch and dinner, the local food is amazing. Honestly, the best meal I had in Sandakan was a plate of fried noodles from a stall down the street. Cheap, delicious, and way more exciting than the homestay breakfast.
What's the location like? Is it easy to get around?
The location is decent. It's not *right* in the heart of the action, but it's close enough to the main attractions. You can walk to some places, but you'll probably need to grab a taxi or use Grab (the Southeast Asian version of Uber) to get around. It's a fairly quiet neighborhood, which is a plus. It's a good base for exploring Sandakan, but I wouldn't say it's the most convenient location if you're planning to spend all your time in the city center.
Okay, the BIG question: Would you recommend it?
Here's the deal: It depends on you. If you're a high-maintenance traveler who craves luxury and perfection, run far, far away. You'll be miserable. If you're looking for a clean, modern, predictable experience, this isn’t for you. But... if you're adventurous, budget-conscious, and appreciate the charm of a slightly quirky, authentic experience? Then YES. Absolutely, YES. I wouldn't say it's a "must-stay," but it's definitely memorable. I'm still laughing about the time the water stopped working mid-shower. And the view from my room? Stunning! It's the kind of place that grows on you. Just be prepared for anything, embrace the chaos, and pack your sense of adventure. You might just fall in love with the place, quirks and all. I did.
Let's talk about a specific experience... that one time you mentioned the water...
Oh, the water incident. Buckle up. It was day two, I was enjoying the mediocre, but welcome, shower. Shampoo lathered, feeling refreshed, when *POOF!* Silence. No water. Just the echoing drip of the last few drops clinging to the tiles. I yelled. I mean, I probably yelled louder than I needed to, but I was mid-shower! And the water pressure *had* been good! I fumbled for a towel, dripping and soapy, and stumbled out of the bathroom. My partner, bless his heart, was in the middle of a nap, and was less than thrilled to be roused by my panicked, half-naked state. We tried the taps in the sink. Nothing. We went to the front desk. The language barrier kicked in, and it was a glorious, confusing mess of gestures and broken English. The staff, bless their hearts, were trying to understand, but it felt like we were speaking different languages.
Eventually, after about an hour of waiting, they fixed it. Or, more accurately, the water returned. We never *actually* figured out what happened. Was it a burst pipe? A temporary outage? Who knows! But that's 98 Homestay for you. It's the kind of place where things happen. And you just have to roll with it. It's a story I tell all my friends now, and honestly? It's one of my favorite memories from the trip. It was ridiculous. It was frustrating. But it was also... part of the experience. And, in a weird way, it made the stay even more memorable. So, yeah, bring a backup plan for your shower. And maybe a good book to read while you wait for the water to come back on. You never know!
Anything else I should know before booking?
Pack earplugs. Seriously. The walls are thin, and you might hear the neighbors' conversations (or snoring). Also, bringAround The World Hotels

