
Popayán's Hidden Gem: Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum—Unbelievable!
Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum: Popayán's Unbelievable Hidden Gem (Seriously, Book Now!)
Okay, buckle up, because I'm about to gush – and maybe rant a little – about Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum in Popayán, Colombia. Forget those sterile, cookie-cutter hotels. This place? This place is different. It's like stumbling into a vibrant dream, a chaotic explosion of art, color, and genuine warmth. And, yeah, I'm already picturing myself back there, sipping coffee on that terrace… (More on that later. Sigh).
First Impressions: Accessibility & Finding Your Way In (or Not Getting Lost!)
Alright, let's be real, sometimes getting around can be a pain. And Popayán, with its cobblestone streets, can be a challenge. Here's where Lienzo scores some serious points. While I didn’t personally test the wheelchair accessibility myself, the information I gathered suggests they've made a real effort. Elevators are a godsend in any multi-story building, and the elevator at Lienzo makes navigating the hostel a breeze. Also, if you're arriving via airport transfer or taxi service (both available!), it's a smooth entry. Now, about the exterior corridor. Yes, you might see a few steps to your room, but hey, it's part of the charm, right?
Tech Headaches? Nope. Just Wi-Fi Bliss & Internet Power (and the occasional dead battery!)
Let's get the practical stuff out of the way. Internet access? Check. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Double check! Seriously, the Wi-Fi was surprisingly strong throughout the hostel, which is crucial if, like me, you're glued to your laptop. And if you need it, Internet [LAN] is also available. This is a huge relief for digital nomads or anyone who needs reliable connectivity. I mean, imagine trying to work from a place with a terrible connection. My blood pressure just went up thinking about it!
Cleanliness, Safety & Feeling Safe (Even When You're a Clumsy Idiot)
Okay, I'm a bit of a germaphobe (don't judge!), so cleanliness is a HUGE deal for me. And Lienzo? They nail it. From the get-go, you can see they're serious about hygiene. They use anti-viral cleaning products, and there's hand sanitizer everywhere. They’ve got daily disinfection in common areas, which is so comforting. The staff is clearly trained in safety protocol, and the place feels genuinely secure. CCTV in common areas and outside the property give you added peace of mind. And, I'm not going to lie, the first aid kit on-site is also a comforting touch.
The Food, Glorious Food! (And Maybe a Minor Meltdown Over the Coffee)
Okay, this is where things get REALLY good. The breakfast [buffet] is a feast for the senses. Seriously, I'm drooling just thinking about it. They had everything from the classic Western breakfast to some amazing local Colombian dishes. The Asian breakfast options were a pleasant surprise! The coffee/tea in the restaurant is strong, but I found myself missing my perfect Americano. (Yes, I'm a coffee snob. Sue me!)
They also have a coffee shop, which is a great place to chill and plan your day. And, their restaurants offer a la carte options. They have a vegetarian restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, and even desserts in restaurant. The Poolside bar and Snack bar are perfect for chilling out. Also, the room service [24-hour] is a blessing for those late-night cravings. I got a little carried away with the bottle of water, but hey, hydration is key!
But here's the thing: I was a little overwhelmed on my first morning. The sheer variety of food felt a bit… much. I ended up grabbing a plate and piling it high with everything. The result? A glorious, messy disaster. I laughed, though. And the staff, they just smiled. They were so accommodating!
Things to Do, Ways to Relax & Maybe Get a Little Spoiled (Spa Day Dreams!)
Okay, so beyond the amazing food, Lienzo has seriously got the relaxation game down. They have a swimming pool [outdoor] with a pool with a view. I spent a solid afternoon just lounging by the pool, reading, and soaking up the sun. Bliss!
And then there's the spa. I didn’t get a chance to try the full spa experience, but they offer massage, and I’m kicking myself for not booking one. They have a sauna, steamroom, and even a foot bath. They also have a gym/fitness center, if you are into that.
The Rooms: Cozy, Colorful, and Kitted Out (Plus, a Few Quirks!)
My room? Oh, it was a dream. It was a non-smoking room, which I appreciated. The air conditioning was a lifesaver. The bed was comfy, with an extra long bed for taller guests. It had a desk, coffee/tea maker, and even a refrigerator. Plus, the complimentary tea was a nice touch. And, I am not going to lie, the slippers were a godsend.
There were bathrobes, a hair dryer, slippers, toiletries, towels, and a mirror. The blackout curtains were perfect for sleeping in. I did appreciate the air conditioning, but I wish I could open the window that opens because the air was a bit stuffy some times.
The one downside? My room didn't have a bathtub, which was a bummer. But honestly, with everything else this place offers, I barely noticed.
Beyond the Basics: Services & Conveniences (Like a Personal Butler, Almost!)
Lienzo goes above and beyond with its services. They have daily housekeeping, laundry service, and even dry cleaning. There's a concierge to help with anything you need. They also have a cash withdrawal service. The luggage storage was a lifesaver when I arrived early. And the safe deposit boxes made me feel like my valuables were safe.
The Staff: The Heart and Soul of Lienzo (Seriously, They're Amazing!)
This is where Lienzo truly shines. The staff. Oh, the staff! They're not just employees; they're like a family. They're genuinely friendly, helpful, and always ready with a smile. From the front desk to the cleaning crew, everyone went out of their way to make my stay memorable. They gave me tips on where to eat, what to see, and even helped me practice my terrible Spanish!
The Quirks, the Imperfections, and the Honest Truth (Because Life Isn't Perfect!)
Okay, let's get real. Lienzo isn't perfect. There were a few minor hiccups. The elevator was a little slow at times. And the soundproofing in my room wasn't the best. I could sometimes hear the music from the restaurant below.
But honestly? Those tiny imperfections added to the charm. This isn't a sterile, corporate hotel. It's a living, breathing space filled with art, music, and the energy of Popayán.
Quirky Observation: The walls are covered in murals. Everywhere. It's like living inside a giant, vibrant painting. You can't help but feel inspired.
Emotional Reaction: I left Lienzo feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and completely in love with Popayán.
Why You NEED to Book Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum Right Now!
Here's the deal: Lienzo is more than just a place to stay. It's an experience. It's a chance to immerse yourself in the culture, the art, and the vibrant energy of Popayán. It's a place where you can relax, recharge, and create lasting memories.
My Recommendation: Book it. Now. Don't hesitate. You won't regret it.
SEO Keywords:
- Popayán hotels
- Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum
- Popayán accommodation
- Colombia travel
- Art hotels
- Wheelchair accessible hotels Colombia
- Popayán restaurants
- Popayán spa
- Free Wi-Fi Popayán
- Hidden gems Colombia
- Hotel review
- Hotel booking
- Best hotels in Popayán
- Accessible hotel Popayán
- Artistic hotel Popayán
- Popayán travel guide
- Things to do in Popayán
- Colombia hotel reviews

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the chaotic, glorious mess that is Popayan, Colombia, and my slightly-less-than-organized attempt to experience it. This isn't your perfectly polished travel blog; this is a raw, unfiltered, probably-slightly-hungover account of a trip to Lienzo Hostel and the Mural Art Museum. Prepare yourselves.
Popayan Pilgrimage: A Week of Walls, Wandering, and Wonder (Maybe)
Day 1: Arrival & "Lost in Translation" (and Empanadas)
- Morning (6:00 AM - 8:00 AM): The flight. Ugh. Airport food. More ugh. Coffee that tasted like sadness. Managed to survive the red-eye. Landed in Popayan! Sunshine! (Thank God, I was starting to think the clouds were following me.)
- Morning (8:00 AM - 10:00 AM): Taxi to Lienzo Hostel. The driver, bless his heart, spoke approximately zero English. My Spanish? Let's just say I'm fluent in pointing and smiling. We eventually arrived, after a thrilling (and slightly terrifying) ride through the narrow, cobblestone streets. Lienzo looked like a rainbow exploded on a building. Instantly loved it. Check-in was smooth, thankfully. Found my dorm room. It's…colorful. Very, very colorful.
- Mid-morning (10:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Exploring the hostel. Met a guy named Kevin from Ireland who had a beard that could house a small family of birds. He looked like he'd been backpacking for a decade and had the tan to prove it. He offered to show me around. Score! Wander the hostel, finding the rooftop terrace with a view of the entire city, the courtyard with a well-worn hammock, and the kitchen with an array of mismatched mugs.
- Lunch (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Kevin insisted we grab empanadas from a street vendor. "Best in Popayan," he declared. He wasn't lying. Crispy, cheesy, spicy…my taste buds were doing the tango. The vendor only spoke Spanish, but we managed to communicate with a combination of gestures, smiles, and a whole lot of pointing.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Nap time! Jet lag is a beast.
- Evening (4:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Wandering through the historic center. Popped into a church. So much gold! My eyeballs were practically vibrating. Almost got lost. Almost. But the architecture is stunning.
- Dinner (7:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Found a tiny restaurant tucked away in a side street. Ordered something. No idea what it was, but it was DELICIOUS. More smiles, more pointing, and more happy-belly.
- Night (8:00 PM onwards): Back to the hostel. Beer. Kevin's beard. Tales of travel. The hostel started to become a hub of different people, all with their own stories to share. I found myself laughing until my stomach hurt.
Day 2: Mural Mania & Misadventures (and More Empanadas)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Finally made it to the Mural Art Museum. And it was…wow. So much color. So much history. The murals were truly incredible. Each one told a story, and I spent ages just staring, trying to absorb everything. The artist's passion poured from every brushstroke. I swear, I could feel the art pulsing with energy. I was lost in a world of vibrant hues and powerful narratives. The museum itself was housed in an old building, which added to the atmosphere. The guide, bless her heart, spoke quickly and I got about half of it but I was still so stunned at the artwork.
- Lunch (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): You guessed it: MORE EMPANADAS! Couldn't resist. Found a different vendor this time, and the empanadas were even better. It's a hard life.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Attempted to retrace my steps from yesterday. Got hopelessly lost. Ended up in a market. The smells! The sounds! The sheer chaos! It was amazing. Bought a weird fruit I couldn't identify. Tasted like sunshine and disappointment.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Back to the hostel. More relaxing.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Attempted to learn some basic Spanish phrases from Kevin. Failed miserably. My accent is atrocious.
- Dinner (7:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Found a different restaurant. The waiter was incredibly patient with my nonexistent Spanish skills. More delicious food. More happy-belly.
- Night (8:00 PM onwards): More beer. More stories. Kevin's beard is getting even more impressive. Made friends from all over the world.
Day 3: Coffee & Cathedrals (and a Near-Disaster)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Found a coffee shop. Colombian coffee is EVERYTHING. I could live on this stuff. Sat and watched the world go by.
- Morning (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Explored more churches. Popayan is the "White City," and the churches are absolutely stunning. Architecture, history. The sheer grandeur of it all is mind-blowing.
- Lunch (1:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Empanadas again. I have a problem.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Decided to climb a hill for a view of the city. Nearly died. Okay, maybe not nearly died, but I definitely underestimated the altitude and my fitness level. Gasping for air, legs screaming, but the view from the top? Worth it.
- Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Relaxed in the hostel.
- Evening (6:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Went to a very good restaurant. It was nice.
- Night (7:00 PM onwards): More hostel life.
Day 4: The Dark Side of Popayan? (and the best arepa of my life)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Decided to explore the darker side of Popayan, or at least, the less-touristy side. Found a market. The energy was different here. A little edgier. But still fascinating. Saw a whole section dedicated to herbal remedies. Very interesting.
- Lunch (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Found a street vendor selling AREPAS. And it was the single best arepa I have ever consumed. Crispy, cheesy, and filled with deliciousness. I may or may not have had two.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): A local told me about a park outside of the city. It was very beautiful.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Back to the hostel. More relaxing.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Went to a very good restaurant. It was nice.
- Night (7:00 PM onwards): More hostel life.
Day 5: The Road Less Traveled (and a Lesson in Humility)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Decided to take a bus to a small town nearby. Got on the wrong bus. Ended up way out of my way.
- Morning (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Found a local cafe. The lady was so nice and helped me find my way back.
- Lunch (1:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Finally found an arepa.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Back to the hostel. More relaxing.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Went to a very good restaurant. It was nice.
- Night (7:00 PM onwards): More hostel life.
Day 6: The Last Supper (and a Sad Farewell)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Spent my last morning wandering around Popayan. Buying souvenirs. Drinking coffee. Trying to memorize the city's details.
- Lunch (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): One last empanada. I'm going to miss them.
- **Afternoon (

Lienzo Hostel & Mural Art Museum: FAQ - Because You HAVE to Know! (Seriously)
Okay, First Things First: Is Lienzo Actually As Awesome As Everyone Says?
Alright, alright, deep breath. Yes. Yes, it is. And you know what? I was skeptical. I've seen the Instagram pics, the glowing reviews...you start thinking, "Oh, another perfectly curated hostel, probably full of influencers doing yoga at sunrise." WRONG. Lienzo...it's different. It's got a vibe. A real, genuine, "I'm-tired-of-tourist-traps-and-just-want-a-good-time" vibe. It's like, the art just *seeps* into you. You walk in and you're immediately like, "Woah." Forget the yoga, though. More like "Woah, where's the Aguardiente?" (kidding... mostly).
What’s the Deal with the Murals? Are They, Like, Just Graffiti?
Okay, here's the thing. I'm not an art critic. I can barely draw a stick figure that *doesn't* look like it's been through a blender. But these murals? They hit different. They're not just random scribbles. They’re *powerful*. Some are HUGE, covering entire walls. Some are tiny, hidden details you discover on the second or third look. I spent, like, an hour just wandering around, jaw agape, trying to understand the stories they were telling. There's one in particular...a woman with a flower growing out of her head...it just…stuck with me for days. I still think about it. And no, it’s not just graffiti! It’s a curated collection of local and international artists… and it's amazing.
The Rooms: Are They Actually Decent? Or Just Insta-bait?
Alright, confession time: I'm a bit of a princess when it comes to hostels. I need a clean bed, a decent shower, and ideally, a place to charge my phone without fighting for a socket. Lienzo surprised me. The rooms are clean. Seriously. And they're not all the same! They all have their own character, their own little bit of art. I stayed in a dorm and a private room (because, you know, research!). The dorm was surprisingly quiet (miracle!), and the private room... bliss. The beds? Comfortable. The showers? Hot. (Which, in the mountains, is a *major* win). No Instagram filter needed. They're genuinely good, and not just for the 'gram.
Food, Glorious Food! What’s the Grub Like?
Okay, the food. This is where things get… well, let’s just say it’s not Michelin-star dining. But! It's good. Really good, for hostel food. They have a small kitchen, and they put on a pretty decent breakfast – usually some arepas, eggs, and coffee. It's enough to get you going. And the best part? They often have communal dinners. And that's where the magic happens, folks. That's where you meet people. That's where you hear the best travel stories (some of which are probably lies, let's be honest). I remember one night, we had a massive feast – some kind of stew, rice, and plantains. I ended up chatting with a guy from Germany who swore he'd seen a yeti in the Andes. I didn't believe him, but the conversation… priceless. It's not about the fancy food; it's about the community it creates.
The Atmosphere: Is It a Party Hostel? Or More Chill?
It’s a balance, thankfully. It's definitely not a "rave until dawn" kind of place. Thank goodness. It’s more of a "let's-have-a-few-beers-and-chat-about-life" kind of vibe. The common areas are great for socializing. There's a courtyard where you can chill, read a book, or just watch the world go by. And the staff? They're awesome. They're friendly, helpful, and they genuinely seem to care about making your stay enjoyable. They're not just there to sell you stuff; they're there to make you feel welcome. I even saw one of the guys, I think his name was Carlos, giving a free walking tour of the city. Super cool. So, chill but lively. Perfect.
Okay, Spill the Tea: What's the One Thing That Really Blew You Away?
Okay, this is where I get a little… dramatic. But seriously, there was this one experience. One night, I was just wandering around the hostel, lost in thought, when I stumbled upon a small, hidden courtyard. It was dimly lit, with fairy lights strung across the walls. And there was this artist, I didn’t catch his name, but he was working on a new mural. He was painting a hummingbird, and the way the light caught the colors… it was breathtaking. He let me watch, and we started talking. He explained the symbolism behind the hummingbird, the connection to the land, the history of Popayán. He spoke with such passion, such… love for his art, for his city. And you know what? I started to cry. Not a sob-fest, but just… tears. It was so beautiful, so authentic, so… human. It reminded me why I travel in the first place – to connect with people, to experience something real. That moment, that one tiny courtyard, that mural, that artist… that’s what Lienzo is all about. That's what made it truly unforgettable. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Okay, I'm done. Book it. Just book it.
Any Downsides? Be Honest!
Alright, alright, let's get real. No place is perfect, right? The Wi-Fi can be a little spotty sometimes. You know, the usual hostel woes. And, the walls aren't soundproof (which is a common problem, but still annoying). So, if you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs. Also, the location, while central, can be a bit noisy at night, especially on weekends. But honestly? These are minor quibbles. Tiny, insignificant bumps on the road to awesomeness. They're nothing compared to the overall experience. Seriously, I'm struggling to come up with real complaints because I genuinely had such a good time.

