Unbelievable Harbor House B&B: NYC's Hidden Gem!

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Unbelievable Harbor House B&B: NYC's Hidden Gem!

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea – the unbelievable tea – on the Harbor House B&B in NYC. Forget those sterile, cookie-cutter hotels. This place… this place is a vibe. And let me tell you, as someone who's seen a few hotel rooms in their day (and let's be honest, probably left a few… ahemtraces), Harbor House is something special.

First Impressions: The Accessibility Angle (and a Small Hiccup)

Right off the bat, let's talk accessibility. This is HUGE for me, and I'm thrilled to say they've made a real effort. Wheelchair accessible? Check! They've got ramps, elevators… the whole shebang. Now, I didn't personally use the wheelchair-accessible rooms (thankfully!), but I saw them, and they looked thoughtfully designed. The elevator was a lifesaver, especially after hauling my suitcase up a flight of stairs in a previous… incident at another hotel, let's just say I learned my lesson.

Okay, so, a small hiccup. I did have a minor issue with… well, the door. My walker needed a bit of maneuvering to get through. I'm talking inches, people. I mentioned it to the staff, and they were on it. They were so apologetic, even though it wasn't a huge deal. This is where you see the real value of a B&B: the personalized service. They actually cared.

The Tech Stuff: Wi-Fi and Beyond (Thank Goodness!)

Okay, let's get down to brass tacks. Internet access? Yep. And thank the Wi-Fi gods, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! I mean, come on, it's 2024. You need that sweet, sweet internet. I'm talking about streaming, working, Skyping with my grandma (she's technologically challenged, bless her heart). The Wi-Fi in public areas was also top-notch. No buffering, no dropped connections. Perfect for, uh, researching the best happy hour spots. (More on that later.)

Pampering Paradise (or at least, a very good attempt!)

Now, let's talk about ways to relax. This is where Harbor House really shines. I’m a sucker for a good spa experience, and they offer a bunch of things. I skipped the body scrub and body wrap (too much work!), but I was VERY intrigued by the pool with a view. I'm talking, like, Instagram-worthy views of the city. The Sauna and Steamroom were calling my name. I swear, I could have spent all day there. I even tried the foot bath – pure bliss after a day of pounding the pavement. They also have a Gym/fitness center.

Cleanliness and Safety: Peace of Mind (and Hand Sanitizer Galore!)

Let's be real, in today’s world, cleanliness is paramount. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so I was very happy to see their commitment to safety. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? Check. Rooms sanitized between stays? Double check! They even had hand sanitizer stations everywhere, which, honestly, made me feel like I was in a medical facility. The staff are trained in safety protocol and they provided individually-wrapped food options. I felt completely safe and secure. They had a doctor/nurse on call, and first aid kit.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Fun!

Alright, food, glorious food! This is where my inner foodie really came alive. The breakfast [buffet] was a delightful spread. The Asian breakfast was a pleasant surprise, and the coffee/tea in restaurant was excellent. I could not get enough of the desserts in restaurant. I mean, come on, who can resist a good dessert? They have a poolside bar, which is a must-visit. The Happy hour was a great way to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. The restaurants offered a variety of options, including a vegetarian restaurant and Asian cuisine in restaurant. They also have room service [24-hour], which is a lifesaver when you're exhausted from exploring the city. The snack bar was perfect for a quick bite, and I even tried the soup in restaurant. I might have even sneaked a bottle of water for later.

Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easy

They really thought of everything. Concierge? Check. Daily housekeeping? Check. Laundry service? Check. Luggage storage? Check. The elevator was a lifesaver. I also appreciated the air conditioning in public area. They even had a convenience store – perfect for grabbing a forgotten toothbrush or a late-night snack. The doorman was always friendly and helpful.

For the Kids: Family Fun (and Maybe a Babysitter!)

I didn't have any kids with me, but I noticed they had a lot of family/child friendly accommodations. They offered a babysitting service and kids meal, so you know they are ready for families.

Getting Around: Easy Peasy

They offer airport transfer, taxi service, and valet parking. I used the taxi service a few times, and it was quick and easy.

Available in All Rooms: The Essentials (and Then Some!)

Okay, let’s talk about the rooms themselves. They are pretty great. You can expect things like air conditioning, alarm clock, bathrobes, bathroom phone, bathtub, blackout curtains, closet, coffee/tea maker, complimentary tea, desk, extra long bed, free bottled water, hair dryer, in-room safe box, internet access – wireless, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mini bar, non-smoking, private bathroom, refrigerator, satellite/cable channels, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and window that opens.

My Unforgettable Experience (and the Imperfections That Made It Real)

Now, let's get to the juicy stuff: the memories. I spent an afternoon by the swimming pool [outdoor]. It was a gorgeous day, and I swear, the view from the pool was breathtaking. I spent hours taking in the sights. The sun, the water, the cocktails… pure, unadulterated bliss.

And here's where the imperfections come in – the things that made it real. I, in my rush to get to the pool, may have forgotten to put on sunscreen. Let's just say, by evening, I was looking a little… lobster-esque. The staff, bless their hearts, were so kind, offering me aloe vera and sympathetic smiles. That's the difference, right? They didn't just provide a service; they cared.

I'm going to tell you about one thing that I didn't get to experience, but that I think is just amazing: the Couple's room and Proposal spot. I'm single, so it wasn't for me, but I saw it, and it was romantic. I imagine a proposal there would be the most memorable.

The Offer: Book Your Unbelievable Escape!

Okay, here’s the deal: Unbelievable Harbor House B&B isn't just a hotel; it's an experience. It's a place where you can relax, recharge, and explore the magic of NYC without the stress of the usual big-hotel experience.

Here's my pitch:

Tired of the same old, boring hotel stays? Craving something different? Book your stay at Unbelievable Harbor House B&B now!

Here’s what you get:

  • Unforgettable Views: Wake up to stunning cityscapes from our rooms, and enjoy the refreshing pool with a view.
  • Relaxation Oasis: Indulge in our spa services, from massages to saunas, and let your stress melt away.
  • Culinary Delights: Savor delicious cuisine at our restaurants and unwind with happy hour cocktails.
  • Peace of Mind: Rest easy knowing that we prioritize cleanliness and safety with rigorous protocols.
  • Personalized Service: Experience the warmth and care of a B&B, where every guest is treated like family.
  • Accessibility: Enjoy a seamless experience with our wheelchair-accessible facilities.

Plus, for a limited time, book your stay and receive a complimentary breakfast upgrade! (Because, let's be honest, who doesn't love a good breakfast?)

Don't wait! Escape to the Unbelievable Harbor House B&B and create memories that will last a lifetime. Trust me; you won't regret it. **

Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Lotus Hotel Near Aparecida Shrine!

Book Now

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your sterile, perfectly-planned itinerary. This is a real person's attempt to survive (and maybe even enjoy) a trip to NYC, based out of the oh-so-charming Harbor House Bed and Breakfast. Prepare for the beautiful, the messy, and the utterly unpredictable.

Harbor House Hideaway & NYC - The "Maybe I'll Actually Like This" Edition

Day 1: Arrival and the "Oh God, I Forgot Everything" Syndrome

  • Morning (or what felt like morning after the red-eye): Landed at JFK. Or rather, crawled out of the plane. Seriously, who invented these cramped seats? Felt like I’d aged a decade in the air. The airport felt like a zoo – a chaotic, slightly smelly zoo. Found my luggage (miracle!) and then the real fun began: figuring out the AirTrain. Let’s just say I may or may not have accidentally ended up in the wrong terminal. Twice.
  • Mid-day: Harbor House Check-in & Initial Panic: Finally, finally arrived at Harbor House. The B&B itself… charming is the word, I guess? Tiny, but the woman at the desk (let's call her Gladys) was a whirlwind of smiles and, bless her heart, a slightly too-enthusiastic welcome. She pointed me to my room (the one with the "rustic" exposed brick, which I'm pretty sure is code for "old and potentially haunted"). Unpacked (or, more accurately, un-threw my clothes onto the bed) and realized I'd forgotten my toothbrush. And my phone charger. And… well, let's just say I'm running on fumes and optimism.
  • Afternoon: Williamsburg Wanderings (and a near-meltdown): Dragged myself to Williamsburg. Gladys had raved about it. Found myself in a sea of beards, tattoos, and people who looked effortlessly cool. I, of course, felt like a tourist from the Jurassic era. Wandered aimlessly, feeling increasingly overwhelmed. Saw a vintage record store (tempting!), a ridiculously overpriced coffee shop (declined!), and a street performer playing a ukulele (surprisingly good!). Then, the panic hit. This city…it's a lot. Decided to retreat to a park bench. Had a moment of existential dread. Ate a stale granola bar. Regrouped.
  • Evening: Dinner Disaster & a Glimmer of Hope: Found a "trendy" pizza place. The pizza was good, but the wait was insane. Sat next to a couple who were clearly on their first date (awkward!). Witnessed a minor argument over the correct way to fold a pizza slice. (Seriously?). Finally, back at Harbor House, crashed in my "rustic" room. Thought about the toothbrush situation. Maybe tomorrow will be better? (Fingers crossed).

Day 2: Brooklyn Bridge Bliss (and a Pigeon Scare)

  • Morning: Coffee & the Brooklyn Bridge: Found a decent coffee shop near Harbor House (thank goodness!). The caffeine was a lifesaver. Decided to tackle the Brooklyn Bridge. Gladys insisted. The bridge itself…breathtaking. The views! The sheer scale of it all! For the first time, I actually felt a tiny spark of excitement.
  • Mid-day: DUMBO Delight (and a Pigeon Assault): Walked into DUMBO. Found the iconic photo spot with the Manhattan Bridge in the background. Spent far too long taking pictures. (Instagram, here I come!). Then, a pigeon. A particularly aggressive pigeon. It dive-bombed me, almost stealing my bagel. I screamed. Loudly. Mortified.
  • Afternoon: Exploring the Heights & the "I Need a Nap" Phase: Wandered around Brooklyn Heights. Beautiful brownstones, tree-lined streets. Felt almost… peaceful. Found a cute little bookstore. Spent an hour browsing. Bought a book I'll probably never read (classic). Then, the fatigue hit again. Needed a nap. Desperately. Back to Harbor House for a blissful hour of sleep.
  • Evening: Dinner in Park Slope & a Moment of Connection: Took the subway to Park Slope. Found a cozy Italian restaurant. The food was delicious. Sat at the bar, chatting with the bartender. He was a New Yorker through and through. Told me stories about the city. Actually felt like I was starting to understand it. Shared a laugh. Felt a tiny bit less alone. Yay!

Day 3: Manhattan Mayhem (and a Broadway Dream)

  • Morning: Ferry to Manhattan & Central Park Panic: Took the ferry to Manhattan. The city skyline from the water is a sight to behold! Then, Central Park. Huge. Overwhelming. Got lost almost immediately. Ended up in the wrong part of the park. Found myself surrounded by joggers, dog walkers, and people who looked like they knew exactly where they were going. I just wanted a bench and a moment of peace.
  • Mid-day: Times Square Trauma & Midtown Madness: Times Square. Sensory overload. Bright lights, flashing screens, people everywhere. Felt claustrophobic. Wanted to run away. Did not run away. Survived. Briefly considered buying a cheap souvenir, then thought better of it. Midtown was a blur of taxis, skyscrapers, and hurried footsteps.
  • Afternoon: Broadway Bound (and a "This is Actually Happening" Moment): The main reason for this trip, finally! The theater! Saw a Broadway show. The lights! The music! The sheer talent! Tears may or may not have been shed. It was magical. Pure, unadulterated magic.
  • Evening: Post-Show Glow & Late-Night Pizza: Walked out of the theater in a daze. Still buzzing from the show. Found a late-night pizza place. The pizza was delicious. Sat outside, watching the city lights. Finally, the overwhelming feeling was gone. It was replaced by something akin to awe. What a day.

Day 4: Museum Musing & Farewell Feels

  • Morning: Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) & Art Appreciation (Maybe): Made my way to the MoMA. Felt like I should enjoy art. Wandered around, pretending to understand modern art. Saw a painting that looked like a toddler had thrown paint at a canvas. Spent far too long trying to decipher the meaning. Found myself drawn to the more traditional stuff. Still, the experience was…something.
  • Mid-day: Greenwich Village & Serendipity: Walked through Greenwich Village. Found a cute little cafe. Had a coffee. People-watched. Felt a bit like a character in a movie. Ran into a street musician playing a beautiful song. Listened for a while. Was tempted to sing along, but resisted.
  • Afternoon: Harbor House Farewell & the "I Don't Want to Leave" Syndrome: Back to Harbor House for the last time. Said goodbye to Gladys (a hug!). Packed. Started to feel sad. This trip…it wasn't perfect. It was messy and exhausting and occasionally overwhelming. But… I'd actually liked it. I'd seen things, done things, felt things. And maybe, just maybe, I'd even started to understand this crazy, wonderful city.
  • Evening: Departure & the Promise to Return: Headed to the airport. Sat on the plane, watching the city lights fade away. Already planning my return. (Maybe with a better toothbrush).

Notes:

  • Food: Ate a lot of pizza. And bagels. And questionable street food.
  • Subway: Mastered the subway (mostly). Still got lost a few times.
  • People: Met some amazing people. And some interesting ones.
  • Feelings: A rollercoaster. Joy, frustration, awe, fear, and everything in between.
  • Overall: NYC: It's a beast. But it's a beautiful, messy, unforgettable beast.

And that, my friends, is my NYC experience. May your own trip be equally messy and amazing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a decent toothbrush.

Uncover the Hidden Gem: Lugar dos Devas, Pontevedra's Mystical Secret!

Book Now

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Unbelievable Harbor House B&B: NYC's Hidden Gem? Let's Get Real...

Okay, so, Unbelievable Harbor House... is it *actually* unbelievable? And what's the deal with the name?

Alright, deep breaths. "Unbelievable" is a bold claim, right? Let's just say the name *does* get you thinking. Honestly? It's not *always* unbelievable, but it *is* memorable, mostly because the owner, Brenda, loves to say it like she's personally responsible for sunsets and the perfect cup of Earl Grey. And the "Harbor House" part? Well, it's not *technically* on the harbor. It's in Staten Island, which… you know, *has* a harbor. But you're not exactly falling out of bed onto a sandy beach. More like, you're falling out of bed onto a delightfully chintzy floral rug, and then maybe you can *see* the harbor from the window if you squint and the fog hasn't rolled in. I've been there. I've squinted.

The rooms... what are they *really* like? I'm picturing either a palace or a dungeon.

Oh, the rooms. Buckle up, buttercup. Palace? No. Dungeon? Thankfully, also no. They're… let’s call them "eclectically decorated." Think your grandma's attic, but with a slightly more organized approach. Brenda has *a lot* of stuff. Like, a LOT. Lace doilies? Check. Velvet curtains that probably haven't been dry-cleaned since the Reagan administration? Double-check. A collection of porcelain cats on every available surface? You betcha. My room, the "Seafarer's Suite" (again with the harbor theme, which is, as I said, a stretch), had a bed that felt like it was from the Titanic. Solid, reliable, and probably older than me. And the bathroom? Well, let's just say you get *intimate* with the plumbing. But, honestly? It was kinda charming in a "lived-in, someone-cares-about-this-place" kind of way. Except for that one time the shower head decided to detach itself and try to hose me down. That was less charming, more "OH MY GOD, GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Brenda. Tell me about Brenda. She seems... a character.

Brenda. Where do I even *begin*? She *is* a character. She's like a walking, talking embodiment of Staten Island history, a dash of Southern hospitality (she's originally from Louisiana, she’ll tell you, approximately 8 times within the first hour), and a whole lotta… well, Brenda-ness. She greets you with a hug, even if you’ve just met, which is either terrifying or endearing, depending on your personal space preferences. She *loves* to talk. About everything. Her cats (there are many). Her opinions on the current state of the world (they're… strong). Her cooking (more on that later). She's a whirlwind. She’s also incredibly kind, and she genuinely wants you to have a good time. Even if you're desperately trying to escape her clutches and find a decent coffee shop.

Breakfast. Is it… edible? And what if I'm a vegan?

Breakfast. Ah, yes. The culinary experience. Let me preface this by saying I am *not* a food critic. I'm a traveler who occasionally enjoys eating. Brenda's breakfast is… an experience. It's hearty. It's… plentiful. It's usually a combination of things she's cooked, things she's raided from the local supermarket, and things she’s decided to experiment with. The pancakes? Sometimes fluffy, sometimes dense, always swimming in a sea of maple syrup (real maple syrup, bless her heart). The eggs? Well, let's just say they taste like Brenda made them. Which is to say, full of love and maybe a little bit of… something else. As for vegans… bless your souls. Brenda tries, she *really* does. She might offer you some fruit (if she hasn't eaten it all herself), a bowl of oatmeal (made with water, naturally), and a look of genuine bewilderment. Pack your own snacks. Seriously.

The location. Staten Island. How do I even *get* there? Is it… safe?

Staten Island. Okay. Getting there is an adventure in itself. You take the Staten Island Ferry, which is free and offers *amazing* views of the Statue of Liberty (yay!). Then you're on Staten Island. From there, you're either taking a taxi, Uber (if you can get one out there!), or public transport. Brenda will, of course, offer to pick you up, which is… something. It involves a very enthusiastic drive, a lot of chatting, and possibly a wrong turn or two. Safety-wise? Staten Island is generally considered safe. It's not exactly the trendy, exciting part of NYC. It's more… residential. Quiet. Which, after the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, can be a welcome change. Just don't expect to find a late-night bar scene. Or a decent coffee shop. (Did I mention the coffee situation?)

The "Unbelievable" part - what was the *most* unbelievable thing that happened?

Okay, this is where it gets messy. And this is why I'm writing this, really. The *most* unbelievable thing? Happened on my second visit. I'd gone back, you see. I'd decided that the chaos, the Brenda-ness, the questionable plumbing... it was all kinda endearing. I'd actually started to *like* the place. Anyway, I was in the Seafarer's Suite again (yep, still with the Titanic bed), and it was a Saturday. Brenda had told me she was making "special" waffles. I had *low* expectations. Cut to: I'm in the tiny, floral-wallpapered dining room. Brenda's there, beaming. And on the table? These *waffles*. They were… enormous. Like, the size of dinner plates. And covered in... everything. Whipped cream, berries, chocolate sauce, and what looked suspiciously like… sprinkles from a child's birthday party. I took a bite. And... they were *delicious*. I mean, unbelievably delicious. Fluffy, perfectly cooked, the toppings were balanced... it was, honestly, the best waffle I'd ever eaten. I told Brenda. I *raved*. She just winked and said, "Honey, sometimes the best things in life are a little bit… unexpected." And that's the thing about Unbelievable Harbor House. It's messy, it's quirky, it's definitely not perfect. But it's got a heart. And sometimes, just sometimes, it's genuinely... unbelievable. And now I'm craving waffles. Dammit, Brenda.

Stay Finder Review

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States

Harbor House Bed and Breakfast New York (NY) United States