
Unbelievable Ankang Homestay Alor Setar: Your Dream Malaysian Getaway Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving deep into the Unbelievable Ankang Homestay Alor Setar. And trust me, after this, you'll be either booking a flight or running screaming in the other direction. No middle ground here, folks. This ain't a sterile travel brochure; it's a raw, unfiltered look at a potential Malaysian escape. Let's get messy!
First Impressions & Accessibility - Or, Can a Wheelchair Actually Get Here?
Okay, so "Unbelievable" is a bold claim, right? Let's see if it lives up. First thing's first: Accessibility. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I am thinking about my aging Aunt Mildred, who is. And honestly, this is where things get… a little muddled. The website says "Facilities for disabled guests," which is promising. But, and this is a HUGE but, they don't go into detail. Does it mean a ramp? A grab bar in the bathroom? Or just that they feel bad for people in wheelchairs? I need specifics! This deserves a call to the hotel before booking, especially if accessibility is key. (Accessibility: Needs more info! They need to highlight what they offer for disabled guests)
The exterior looks promising in the pictures, though. Clean, well-lit. (Exterior: Good!)
Getting there? Well, they offer Airport transfer, which is fantastic. That takes a load off. They also have Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site]. Score! Parking in Malaysia can be a nightmare. This is a definite plus. (Getting Around: Excellent!)
Once You're In: The Rooms & Amenities – Let's Get Comfy!
Alright, let's pretend I am Aunt Mildred for a hot minute. **(Imagine me, a tiny, opinionated woman, in a floral dress, clutching a handbag) **
The website boasts Air conditioning (thank GOODNESS! Malaysia is HOT), Air conditioning in public area, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (essential for Instagramming those sunset pics!), Wi-Fi in public areas (even better!), Additional toilet (always a win!), Alarm clock, Bathrobes (oooh, fancy!), Bathtub (yes, please!), Blackout curtains (sleep is precious!), Closet, Coffee/tea maker (a must-have!), Daily housekeeping (thank the heavens!), Desk, Extra long bed (important for us long-legged folk!), Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box (for my jewels! Kidding… mostly), Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace (work and play, baby!), Linens, Mini bar (temptation!), Mirror, Non-smoking (a must!), Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed (genius!), Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and Window that opens. Okay, that’s a lot. It's like they threw every conceivable comfort at the problem. (Rooms: A+ for amenities!)
But here’s the thing: **(Here comes the but, as in, my butt is about to be on the line) ** I’m a sucker for a good vibe. That's what I need, and it's hard to tell from a list. Are the rooms actually nice? Cozy? Do they smell of… well, nothing? That's the key to a good hotel room. I need to know if they pay attention to detail! A Personal Anecdote (Because I'm All About It!)
I was in a hotel in Bali once, and the sheets were so rough, it felt like sleeping on sandpaper. I’m not kidding. I got no sleep. This is the kind of detail that can make or break a stay. So, Ankang Homestay, please tell me the sheets are soft!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Feed Me, Seymour!
Alright, food. This is where I get really excited. And this is where the Ankang Homestay really shines (potentially!).
They have Restaurants, a Bar, and a Coffee shop, which is a great start. (Dining: promising!)
Here's the good stuff: A la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, and Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
Phew! That's a lot of options. My stomach is already rumbling. I see the promise of deliciousness, from local Malaysian specialties to Western comfort food. Buffet? Yes, please! Room service? Absolutely! Vegetarian options? Bless you, Ankang Homestay! This is a win for me. (Dining: Looks AMAZING!)
The Relaxation Zone - Spa Day, Anyone?
Okay, let's talk pampering. Because, let's be honest, that's what a vacation is really about, right?
They have Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, and Swimming pool [outdoor].
OMG. Seriously? A pool with a view? I'm sold. The sauna and steam room are essential for a good detox. The spa? Well, I might just move in. (Relaxation: Heaven!)
Cleanliness & Safety - Is it Germ-Free?
Okay, in the post-pandemic world, this is HUGE.
They have Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, and Sterilizing equipment.
Phew Again! That’s a lot of reassuring words. They seem to be taking this seriously. (Cleanliness: Top marks!)
Services & Conveniences – Because Life's Easier That Way!
They've got Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, and Xerox/fax in business center.
Okay, that's a ton of stuff. They’ve thought of everything. (Services: Convenient!)
For the Kids - Babysitters and More!
Babysitting service and Family/child friendly and Kids meal are available. (For The Kids: Score!)
Things to Do - Beyond the Room
They have Fitness center, and Gym/fitness. (Things To Do: Good!)
Security - Keeping Things Safe
They have CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms. (Security: Secured!)
Getting Around They have Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, and Valet parking. (Getting Around: Excellent!)
The Verdict - Is "Unbelievable" Accurate?
Okay, let's be real. "Unbelievable" is a big claim. And while I haven't actually stayed there (yet!), based on the information available, it leans towards a resounding maybe.
Here's the breakdown:
- Accessibility: Needs more detail. Call them!
- Rooms & Amenities: Looks amazing!
- Dining: My mouth is watering.
- **Relaxation

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, sanitized travel itinerary. This is a messy, glorious, and hopefully hilarious account of my adventure in Alor Setar, Malaysia, centered around the Ankang Homestay. And let me tell you, I'm already feeling the jet lag.
The Alor Setar Shuffle: A Slightly Unhinged Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Nasi Lemak Crisis
- Morning (or what passes for morning after a red-eye): Landed in Alor Setar. Let's just say the immigration officer wasn't exactly thrilled with my sleep-deprived attempts at small talk. "Tourist," he grumbled, "you look like you wrestled a bear and lost." Fair point, sir. Fair point.
- Getting to the Ankang Homestay: Finding the Ankang Homestay was an adventure in itself. Google Maps decided to take a nap, leading me on a scenic tour of… well, I'm not entirely sure. Ended up asking a friendly (and very confused) local for help. The homestay itself? Charming. Absolutely charming. The kind of place that smells faintly of jasmine and old books. Instantly felt like I'd stumbled into a hidden world.
- The Nasi Lemak Debacle: First priority: food. Second priority: caffeine. Third priority: surviving the heat. I'd heard tales of legendary nasi lemak in Alor Setar. Found a place that looked promising, queued up, and… disaster. They were out. OUT! My stomach churned with a mixture of hunger and disappointment. This was not the welcome I'd envisioned. Ended up with a rather sad plate of fried noodles. Lesson learned: always have a backup plan (and maybe a secret stash of instant noodles).
- Afternoon: Attempted a nap. Failed. The combination of jet lag, anticipation, and the incessant chirping of cicadas proved to be a formidable foe. Instead, I wandered around the neighborhood, feeling like a bewildered alien. The vibrant colors of the buildings, the constant hum of activity, the smell of spices – it was all intoxicating, and slightly overwhelming.
- Evening: Dinner at a local warung (small food stall). This time, I was prepared! Ordered a mountain of char kway teow and devoured every single bite. The flavors exploded in my mouth. This, my friends, was redemption. Sat there, sweating, and feeling pure, unadulterated happiness. Watched the world go by, the rhythmic clatter of pans, the laughter of families, the gentle breeze carrying the scent of the sea. Magical.
Day 2: The Sultan's Palace and a Brush with Bird Poop Destiny
- Morning: The Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah Gallery. Okay, history lesson time! Visited the Sultan's Palace, now a museum. It was impressive, all gold and gleaming and full of regal history. I'm not usually one for palaces, but this one actually held my attention. The sheer extravagance of it was something to behold. I tried to imagine myself as a Sultan, but kept picturing myself tripping over the velvet ropes.
- The Bird Poop Incident: As I was admiring the palace's intricate roof, a bird, with impeccable timing, decided to relieve itself directly onto my head. I yelped, mortified, and spent the next ten minutes frantically trying to get the offending substance out of my hair. A group of giggling schoolgirls offered me tissues. Humbling experience. Lesson learned: always look up. And maybe carry a hat.
- Afternoon: Explored the bustling market. Oh. My. Goodness. The sights, the sounds, the smells! Mountains of exotic fruits, glistening seafood, spices piled high like miniature pyramids. I wanted to buy everything. Ended up purchasing a bag of rambutan, which I promptly devoured. Juice dripping down my chin, I felt like a kid again.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Back to the Ankang Homestay for a rest. I sat on the veranda, drinking local coffee, and simply being. This place is a sanctuary. I felt a sense of calm I hadn't felt in ages. The air was thick with the scent of frangipani. I could hear the distant call to prayer. I started to feel… at peace.
- Evening: Hunted down the "best" seafood restaurant in town. It was a bit of a trek, but utterly worth it. Freshly grilled fish, succulent prawns, and the most amazing chili crab I’ve ever tasted. I ate until I could barely move, then waddled back to the homestay, completely and utterly content.
Day 3: Rice Paddy Rambles and a Slightly Embarrassing Karaoke Attempt
- Morning: Took a taxi to the rice paddies. The vast, emerald-green fields were breathtaking. The air was fresh and clean. Took a bunch of photos, which, let's be honest, will probably look underwhelming on my phone. Decided to actually walk through the paddies. It was muddier than I expected. Almost lost a shoe.
- Lunch: Found a small, family-run restaurant near the paddies. The food was simple, but delicious. The owners were incredibly friendly, and made me feel like I was part of their family. Got to practice some of my (very limited) Bahasa Malaysia. They laughed. A lot.
- Afternoon: Back to the Ankang Homestay for a siesta (which I actually managed to achieve this time!). Refreshed, I felt like I could conquer the world. Or at least, the rest of Alor Setar.
- Evening: Karaoke night! Found a karaoke bar. Thought, "Hey, I'm feeling brave! Let's do this!" I chose a song I thought I knew (spoiler alert: I didn't). My voice cracked, I missed some key notes, and I generally made a complete fool of myself. But you know what? I had a blast. The locals cheered me on, even though I butchered their favorite song. I left feeling exhilarated and thoroughly entertained.
- Late Night: Back at the homestay. Sat on the porch, drinking a beer, and reflecting on the day. The sounds of the city slowly faded, replaced by the gentle chirping of insects. A perfect ending to a perfect day.
Day 4: Farewell Feast and the Bitter Sweet Departure
- Morning: A final breakfast at a local kopitiam (coffee shop). Ordered a roti canai with a side of mee goreng. Simply divine! Relished every single bite, knowing that this was my last culinary adventure in Alor Setar.
- Shopping Spree: Bought souvenirs. A batik scarf, some local spices, and a ridiculously large, brightly colored Malaysian flag.
- Early Afternoon: A final walk through the streets, soaking up the atmosphere. The sights, the sounds, the smells – I wanted to etch them into my memory.
- Late Afternoon/Departure: Said goodbye to the Ankang Homestay. I felt a pang of sadness. It had become my home away from home. Stepped out in the airport and felt a mixture of nostalgia and excitement for the next leg of my journey.
Overall Reactions:
- Best Thing: The people. The warmth, the friendliness, the genuine hospitality. I felt welcomed everywhere I went.
- Worst Thing: The bird poop.
- Most Unexpected: The sheer beauty of the rice paddies.
- Would I Go Back? Absolutely. In a heartbeat.
- Rating: 9/10 (minus one point for the bird poop incident).
- Final Thought: Alor Setar, you've stolen a piece of my heart. I'll be back. And next time, I'm bringing a hat.
So there you have it, my messy, imperfect, and utterly human travelogue of Alor Setar. Hopefully, this has given you a taste of what awaits you. Now go forth, explore, and make your own memories. And for the love of all that is holy, watch out for birds!
Escape to Paradise: Anantara Layan Phuket's Luxury Awaits
Unbelievable Ankang Homestay Alor Setar: Your Dream Malaysian Getaway Awaits! (Or Does It?) - FAQ!
Okay, so, what *is* Unbelievable Ankang Homestay, anyway? And why the dramatic name?
Alright, deep breaths. Unbelievable Ankang Homestay in Alor Setar, Malaysia. It's... well, it's a homestay. Think less "sterile hotel room," more "someone's actually-lived-in house, but cleaned up a bit for you." As for the "Unbelievable" part? Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe the owner's a bit of a drama queen (respect!). Maybe they're trying to build hype, which, *spoiler alert*, it kind of worked on me. I kept thinking, "What's so unbelievable about a homestay?" Turns out... well, we'll get to that. But hey, it's memorable, right? And Alor Setar is a pretty chill place, so maybe "Unbelievable" is just a way to liven things up.
Is it... clean? Because, you know, Malaysian heat and all that...
Okay, let's get real. Cleanliness is *paramount*. And yes, Unbelievable Ankang is, generally, pretty darn clean. I have a *very* sensitive nose (blame the pollen allergies), and I didn't get any instant regret-inducing whiffs. The floors were shiny, the bathroom wasn't harboring any obvious horrors. The sheets? Smelled freshly laundered, which is always a win. That said, it's not a *surgical suite*. It's a lived-in space. You might find a stray ant (it *is* Malaysia!), or a tiny, harmless gecko on the wall (they eat the mosquitos, so, win-win!). Just don't expect a sterile, clinical experience. Embrace the slight imperfections. It's part of the charm, I think.
What are the rooms like? Are they air-conditioned? Because, sweating.
Yes, thankfully, the rooms *are* air-conditioned. Thank. The. Heavens. Alor Setar is hot. Like, "want to live in a freezer" hot. The rooms themselves are pretty decent. Comfortable beds (very important!), usually with mosquito nets (another lifesaver!). They're not huge, but they're adequate. Think cozy, not palatial. The decor is… let’s call it “eclectic.” Expect a mix of local artwork, maybe some family photos (you’re in someone’s house, remember?), and potentially some furniture that’s seen better days, but is still perfectly functional. My room had a really, REALLY comfy chair. I spent a lot of time in that chair. It was… unbelievable. (See? They got me.)
Is there Wi-Fi? Because, Instagram. And work (sigh).
Yes, there's Wi-Fi. And it's... okay. Not lightning-fast, but usable. Enough to upload your Instagram stories (priorities!), check your emails (double sigh), and maybe even stream a movie (triple sigh). Don't expect to download the entire internet in five seconds. It's Malaysia, remember? Sometimes the internet is a bit... temperamental. Be patient. Embrace the slower pace. Perhaps use the time to actually *look* at the scenery instead of your phone screen. (I'm saying this to *myself*, by the way.)
What's the food situation like? Breakfast included? (Very important question!)
Breakfast *is* usually included! And it's... *good*. Not Michelin-star good, but good! Expect a traditional Malaysian breakfast – maybe nasi lemak (coconut rice with peanuts, anchovies, and a boiled egg), roti canai (flaky flatbread with curry), or some kind of delicious noodle dish. The coffee is strong (thank goodness!), and they usually have some fresh fruit. It’s a great way to start the day. I remember one morning, they had these little pancakes with palm sugar syrup... oh my god. I ate, like, a million of them. Seriously. I felt a little ill afterwards, but it was SO worth it. Just… pace yourself. (Again, talking to myself.) They might also offer dinner, but it's best to ask ahead. Alor Setar has some fantastic street food, so you *have* to explore!
How's the location? Is it easy to get around?
The location is... decent. It's not smack-dab in the city center, which is a *good* thing, because Alor Setar can get a bit chaotic. It's in a quieter, more residential area. You'll probably need a Grab (Southeast Asia's Uber/Lyft) or a taxi to get around to the main attractions. Walking is possible, but the Malaysian heat… yeah, you’ll want air conditioning and a cold drink pretty fast. It’s close enough to things that it’s convenient, but far enough away that you can actually sleep at night without the sounds of traffic. I spent a lot of time just wandering around, getting lost (happens to the best of us), and discovering hidden gems. That's part of the fun, right? Don't be afraid to ask the hosts for recommendations! They're usually super helpful.
What about the hosts? Are they friendly? Are they... *weird*?
The hosts are… generally friendly. They are *Malaysian* friendly, which means warm, welcoming, and genuinely interested in making sure you have a good time. They're not hovering, which is a plus. They're there if you need them, but they also give you your space. I had a lovely chat with the owner, who told me all about his family and the history of the homestay. He even gave me some recommendations for the best laksa in town (it was amazing, by the way!). They’re not weird in a creepy way. They're just… people. Real people. Which is what makes a homestay a homestay, not a hotel. They're genuinely trying to share their home and culture with you. That’s the “unbelievable” part, I think. The genuine hospitality.
Okay, so, the *really* important question: Would you stay there again?
Hmm… that's a good question. Look, it's not the Ritz-Carlton. It's a homestay. It's got its quirks. There might be a slightly noisy air conditioner. Maybe the Wi-Fi will be a bit spotty at times. But... yes. Absolutely, yes,Hotelish

